Saturday, April 25, 2009

TOP TEN REASONS YOU DON'T GIVE FEEDBACK

Massage is usually a pretty passive experience. We want you to relax and enjoy the treatment, but we also need your feedback which can be hard to do because:
1) I'm in lala land..so leave me alone
2) I'm not sure if it's supposed to feel this way..Besides she knows what she's doing
3) It'll be over soon anyway.. so just grin and bear it
4) hmm I have to pick up the kids at 4 and stop by the store..oh wait, I'm supposed to be relaxed.
5) is that a hangnail or is Freddy Kruger giving this massage.
6) maybe he won't notice I didn't shave my legs
7) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
8) No pain no Gain..right?
9) oh yeah right, breathe....
10) cold hands..yikes

All kidding aside. Feedback is important after all it's your body and it's your massage. Most therapists (as do I) enjoy the challenge and break from the routine when clients have special requests. I once had a client who told me at the beginning of her session that she wanted to start laying on her back and didn't want me to use any forearms or elbows. It was clear she knew what she wanted and liked and although this threw me out of my routine it ended up being a great session for both of us.

The worst thing you can do is lay there and suffer. If something doesn't feel good a simple change may make all the difference such as more lotion to reduce friction or changing the tool from knuckles to palm. There are many strokes and ways to do them and as always, it's my job to adjust to you not make you adapt to my style. Ladies, if you have tender breasts or have had augmentation, there is simple bolstering we can do that can ease discomfort. With the addition of a couple of towels to support your shoulders and ribcage, most of the pressure is taken off of the tender areas. Similar bolstering can be used for any sensitive area or injury so that the massage does not add unwanted pressure to those areas.

This goes for climate control too. Let me know if you're too hot. Uncovering the feet (the bodies built in thermostats) can help you to cool off quickly. Or if your cold, don't be afraid to ask for a blanket which I always keep handy.

All this might seem like common sense, but even I sometimes find it hard to communicate when I'm getting a massage, so I know both sides of the table. Yes, I look for signs of discomfort such as tensing up, clenching fists, or even the occasional scream but all in all I can't read minds, so make sure your massage is great by giving a little guidance. Oh yes, 00hs and ahs count as feedback too, a little encouragement is like applause to an actor, you'll get a better massage.

No comments: